In January 1945 a small group of people met at the then Cannock Urban District Council offices, located in Queen Square, on the site of the Prince of Wales, Theatre. This meeting led to our first production ‘Quiet Wedding’ by Esther McCracken which was staged in the New Hall Cannock (now Bar Sport).
We stayed there for many years, presenting 64 productions until the New Hall was sold. Our next venue was the now demolished Forum Theatre in Market Hall Street.
In 1962 our first play at the Forum was Moliere’s classic ‘Tartuffe’. We stayed until June 1984, when we performed the last stage production ever in the Forum, ‘Dean Charles’.
Then came our move to the Prince of Wales Theatre and in September 1984 we were the first amateur company to put on a show there – the musical ‘Jack the Ripper’.
There have been many other highlights in our 70 years these include:
- Our very first production – ‘Quiet Wedding’ (1946)
- First Shakespeare – ‘Twelfth Night’ (1952)
- First Play with Music – ‘The Town that would have a Pageant’ (1956)
- First Classic – ‘Moliere’s Prodigious Snob’ (1960)
- First Drama Festival – ‘Two Gentlemen of Soho’ (1960)
- Two Joint Productions with St Luke’s Drama Society – Merchant of Venice (1964) & Pillars of Society (1966)
- First Musical – ‘The Boy Friend’ (1965)
- First Christmas Musical – ‘Wizard of Oz’ (1967)
- First Pantomime – ‘Aladdin’ (1968)
- 100th Production – ‘No No Nanette’ (1973)
- 150th Production – ‘Chicago’ (1994)
- 200th Production – ‘Beauty and the Beast’ (2014)
We believe that amateur theatre is a very great factor in keeping alive the theatrical tradition in this country.
Committee Members 2015-2016
President: Gerry Hindley
Chair: Julie Hunter
Vice Chair: Sarah Diamond
Secretary: Linda Askew
Treasurer: Janine Kent
Production Secretary: Barbara Cooper
Stage Manager: Ben Diamond
Publicity & Wardrobe: Julie Hunter
Web & Graphic Secretary: Natasha Walker
Ticket Secretary: Jane Lake
Membership Secretary: Helen Cartwright
Social Secretary: Jamie Jones
Sponsorship Secretary: Steve Thornhill
Members Representative: Michelle Beere
Fundraising Secretary: Louise Hewitt
Take a trip down memory lane…